Wednesday 15 June 2016

Banka Banka NT

Stayed the night at Banka Banka

Daylight Ascent on the mount while everyone else was in Bed

Banka Banka is a working cattle station, of approx 390,000 acres, with about 80,000 usable,  the rest is stone, of various sizes. I don't know how the cattle get around it, you would have trouble walking it, let alone get a vehicle over it!

Famous for its red-back spiders if you believe the manager!

But there is a steel sculpture of one at the front gate, so probably not far wrong.

Pay Phone
The homestead and park are right on the Stuart highway, so owners obviously thought it a good idea to take advantage of passing tourist trade a few years ago so setup the caravan park.



The mount!













































No power or phone reception, but a pay phone on site if you need one. Plenty of water, that is as good as you would get drinking water.
We arrived early afternoon, so got a good shady site.

Incidentally I was the only one to climb Mt Banka Banka, the others in the team declaring the climb "Too difficult".

I did it in a set of roman sandals, next time I will update my foot ware, kicking my toe several times, in the rocks I wasn't quite sure if I had kicked a stone or been bitten by a Death Adder.

Good place to have a stopover.



Camp Kitchen

Bar

View From Mt Banka Banka

View From Mt Banka Banka
View From Mt Banka Banka




No comments:

Post a Comment